Unique performance of ‘Domog shig ugluu’

‘Domog shig ug­luu’(Morning like a legend) a drama which uses interpretive and traditional dance; directed and choreographed by M.Munguntsetseg, Distinguished Cultural Worker of Mongolia, dance choreographer of ‘Tumen Ekh’ Ensemble, and dance teacher of Mongolian University of Culture and Art, has been performed on stage at the Mongolian University of Art and Culture. The play consists of over 50 performers and it is unique because the dancer’s moves are taken from petro-glyphs. There are many other special features in this play that tells the a story of a boy who left his home to find a wife at his mother’s behest and eventually achieves his goal, though he encounters many difficulties and adventures on the way. The new and modern figures of dance which express ideas almost as well as words are very prized by professionals. 

Unuudur Newspaper spoke with Distinguished Cultural Worker, M.Munguntsetseg, the choreographer of the dancing play. 

-It is quite rare to make a drama using dance with Mongolian traditional dances. How did the idea come to you?

-This is a chance for my students who are graduating this year to show what they have learned. I worked as a choreographer for over 10 years in Europe. During this time, I realized how great the traditional Mongolian dance, Bii biyelgee, is. I have choreographed many dances and have participated in certain competitions since I came to Mongolia two years ago.

I have always thought that if traditional Mongolian dance was supported more, it would have a lot of things to show. We aimed to prove how dance can express a variety of ideas. Dance which is the most expressive form of body language has the capability to express more things than verbal communication. That’s why I choreographed this play. 

-I heard that you have successfully participated in a dance competition which took place in Russia. Could you share your thoughts about this?

-Choreographers from 55 countries took part in the International Choreographers’ Festival of Eurasian countries that was held in Russia in February. I was judged as the second-place winner in the folk dance genre, third place in contemporary dance, and fourth place in children’s dance and these achievements won the silver cup for the team. My teachers, State-Honored Actor of Mongolia, D.Nanjid and B.Altantsetseg have taught me many things. I have many plans and dreams but still there is not enough support. However, I am still trying to do whatever I can do to demonstrate our folk dance to the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog