Jindong Cai: Mongolian musicians are good to perform anywhere

American conductor and musicologist Jindong Cai is now in Mongolia at the invitation of the Director of the State Opera and Ballet Theater to conduct Bizet’s Carmen on March 26 and Tchaikovski’s Swan Lake on March 27. Our journalist asks him a few questions during rehearsal.

Is this your first visit here?

No, I first came last summer and met with Director B.Sergelen and musicians of the Opera and Ballet Theater. I was impressed with conditions in Ulaanbaatar and invited some musicians to the USA last February. I am happy to be back, and am looking forward to the two evenings.

How do you find Mongolian singers and musicians?

They are very talented and can perform anywhere in the world. I think the world also should know more about them. The world is getting smaller and there should be more interaction among artistes in various centers.

Have you worked elsewhere in Asia?

I was born in China but have lived in the USA for 25 years now. I decided to become a conductor when I heard orchestras from Berlin and Vienna in Beijing as a small child. I went to the USA to fulfill this dream. I have worked with excellent conductors and learnt much from them. A conductor must feel the music and understand the orchestra. I have conducted all large orchestras of China.

What instruments do you play?

I have played the piano and the violin since I was so small. I wanted to become a conductor so that the entire orchestra would be my instrument. Working with singers is specially rewarding as the voice expresses the heart.

How do you like working here?

Your State Opera and Ballet Theater is a wonderful place with a unique Mongolian ambience. I have a feeling the audience would be interested and informed.

Source : News.mn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog